Earlier this week authorities announced that the deadly brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri was found in the water supply of Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, a water system that serves 97,000 residents. This is the second time in two years that amoeba has been found in an American water supply.
Authorities insist that the water is still drinkable, but caution that it can be deadly to inhale/get up ones nose. Therefore they are cautioning against submerging oneself in the water, using the water in a neti-pot, letting children play with a hose, or anything that could lead to water going up the nostrils. They have begun a 60-day chlorine burn to kill the amoeba.
While our water filtration systems don’t specifically address amoeba, having a Chanson pre-filtration system and/or Whole House Filtration system installed can provide added peace of mind when situations like this occur. They will address the added chlorine being used for the chlorine burn, which will have done it’s job by the time it reaches your faucet and is not healthy to ingest or bathe in. Chlorine has been linked to respiratory issues, cancer and skin irritations among other things.
As much as our government may try to protect us, ultimately your health is in your hands and no water supply is immune to traces of dangerous bacteria and other contaminants. Protect yourself and your family with a proper filtration system today!