This is the fifth installment of our alkaline foods series where we feature a food from A-Z, sharing the benefits of the food along with suggested recipes to try!
E is for Eggplant
Eggplant contains dietary fiber, vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), B vitamins, folate, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorous. They are available year-round but are in peak season August-October.
When selecting an eggplant, you will want to purchase a male eggplant because they have fewer seeds, and are less bitter than their female counterparts. To differentiate between male and female eggplants, look at the indentation at bottom. You will want a shallow and round bottom, not one that is deep and shaped like a dash.
The compounds in eggplant promote health in many ways including:
- Antioxidant which fights free radicals
- Lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol
- Protects cells from mutating into cancer cells
- Aids in weight loss by helping you feel full
- High water content promotes beautiful skin
Eggplant recipes to try:
- Stuffed Eggplant
- No-Fry Eggplant Marinara
- Zucchini & Eggplant Pizza
- Spicy Grilled Eggplant with Red Pepper, Parsley & Mint
- Eggplant “Fries” with a Drizzle of Honey
- Moroccan Eggplant Dip
Other alkaline foods that start with E: